Sunday, January 29, 2012

Playdate with Mary Beckstead

Last Friday, the Becksteads babysat Hayden so that Paul and I could go on a date.  It was bedtime when we dropped him off, so he missed out on play time with little Mary.  This week was our turn to watch Mary.  Her parents dropped her off around noon, so Hayden got to have a play date!



Turns out, Mary LOVES trains.  Who knew??

Oh a smile!  I think Mary had just smiled, but she doesn't hold the pose long.  You have to be QUICK.

Tried to get a picture of the three of us.  I would have settled for everyone just looking at the camera...but no.

Tried to get a picture of the three of us in the mirror.  Yeah...didn't work so well.


It's funny...until you see another child playing with your toys, your toys just aren't that interesting.  But yesterday, as Hayden saw Mary playing with his blocks and trains, he suddenly took a renewed interest in them.  Anything that Mary had, Hayden had to have.  Toys were stolen, shared, and then stolen again.  



Hayden going in for the toy steal.
I thought that having two almost one-year-olds would be a huge challenge, but it really wasn't!  Instead of Hayden looking to me for entertainment, he had a little buddy there to keep him interested.  I actually got the dishes done thanks to Mary playing with Hayden.  No Hayden trying to crawl into the dishwasher, and no Hayden reaching for the knives in the utensil rack.  Heaven.


At one point I put Mary in Hayden's walker.  She wasn't too sure about it at first, but quickly got used to it.  Her skill surprised me--she was almost immediately able to move it back and forth across the floor.  That took Hayden a few weeks to master!  Smart little girl.  Hayden started showing a lot of interest in the walker when Mary was in it, and he had to play with it too.  Actually it turned out to be pretty cute--Hayden pushed the walker around the condo while Mary played with its toys.


Hayden was being such a little gentleman helping Mary around!  He was so proud of himself.    Mary didn't need the help, but Hayden didn't know that!

Finally caught a partial smile of Mary.

Sparkly toenails.  


Having another girl in the house, I could not resist painting her toes!  I got out my tub of nail polishes to decide which I would use.  I almost went with bright pink...but then scaled it back to just a sparkle polish.  I didn't want her mom to hate me!  I sat Mary in Hayden's high chair and gave her some Cheerios to nibble on while I painted.  I started thinking about when I was little and a friend of the family that was babysitting me took me to get my ears pierced.  She had some guts (I was only four at the time)!  But I'm still thankful to this day that she took me.   So with this thought in mind, I hoped Mary's mom wouldn't flip.  When I was finished, it was pretty adorable!  


The hair grab.

I got Mary down from the high chair and she and Hayden returned back to the living room where the toy bin was.  That's when Hayden did it...he pulled Mary's  hair.  I ran and released Mary from his grip.  She was sooo traumatized!  I held her on my lap for the next 20 minutes or so.  Hayden of course couldn't understand what was wrong, or why mommy was holding another baby and not him.  Poor Mary just laid her head against me!  


Mary's not too happy about it, but Hayden seems to think it's fun!
I hope Mary will look past the hair pulling and play with Hayden again sometime!  He'll work on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment